Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bedtime Hiding Fun

We have been doing the same bedtime routine for so long -
read scriptures, say a family prayer, brush teeth
Chuck takes the kids up to their room reads a book and sings them each their special song as he dances around the room with them
Then it's my turn
I do "treasure hunt" (basically a back scratch with actions to a little story that Chuck's mom did to them when they were growing up), help them say their own prayer, talk to them about something good and something bad that happened that day.
But a couple of months ago the kids decided it would be fun to switch it up a little. It started out with them hiding under their blankets on their bed and I would pretend I couldn't find them. They thought this was so funny and would laugh and laugh when I finally discovered them under their blankets. Then about a month ago Chuck got in on the hiding action.
I went upstairs and thought the kids were hiding under their blankets as normal. I walked around the room talking about how I couldn't find them, usually they would laugh under their covers, but not this night. I noticed one of the closet doors was slightly open so I shut it. Then I tackled the blanket on the lower bed and was shocked to find that it was only other blankets underneath. Then I pulled back the blankets on the top bunk and found Bella's caterpillar under the covers. I was totally surprised to find that they really weren't there - no wonder it was so quiet! In the mean time Chuck had come up the stairs to watch the scene unfold and was laughing so hard he had tears in his eyes. Low and behold the kids were hiding in the closet and I had shut the door on them. They were so quiet they didn't even make a peep as I shut them in! And thus, a new tradition was born.
Now every night Chuck hides them and it's my job to find them somewhere in the room. I'm amazed with all the hiding places he has come up with. And the kids can remain absolutely silent while I search for them. They LOVE this little bedtime routine!


The kids supposedly hiding under their blankets.

But it's only the caterpillar.

They are always hiding under a blanket and tonight they were hiding behind the door.

Another night they were hiding in the corner behind this toy.
I have to be careful not to find them too fast as this might cause a HUGE disapointment. I cherish little things like this because I know before to long they will grow out of thinking it's fun to hide from their mommy!

1 comments:

Carole said...

What a cute Mama you are Amber. You have got to be so tired of a night running with thos 4 little ones.
I talked to your mom yesterday. It is always so nice to talk to her, just wish we lived a little closer.