Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Yeah for the Construction Mess!

I AM SO EXCITED that the basement is under construction and moving very quickly. The same contractor that built our home is finishing the basement and he asked me the other day why I always do these things when I'm pregnant. My only explanation is that I get a little crazy and feel the need to finish BIG projects.

The past couple of days have been crazy and dirty around here as various crews have invaded our home. I think I had about 8 men downstairs today going in and out of the house with their dirty feet. Yesterday the framers were tearing down part of the wall and it was so loud and messy. I'm not sure I could actually live through some major home renovation. I think when that time comes we'll just have to build again. But I must say, I do love the smell of lumber!

Last week the plumber was here and Samuel was downstairs with the guy for 2 1/2 hours. When he came in he was wearing a cowboy hat and Samuel said, "Hey, I like your hat." Then he turned to me and said, "Mom look it's a real cowboy." Then he started calling him cowboy. I just had to laugh and I almost felt bad for the guy as Samuel would say, "Hey cowboy do you know..." and then he would rattle off some fact. I could hear Samuel telling him all about black holes and that they sucked everything into them because they have so much gravity. I finally wandered downstairs and the guy said, "I've been learning all about asteroids, space and dinosaurs." Once we read a book, Samuel commits the facts to memory and then will spew them forth to anyone who is willing to listen, or in this case, can't get away from him! Awhile later Samuel brought me up a pipe and said, "Mom look this is the pipe and here is the P-trap. That's what catches the pee." I just laughed wondering if the plumber had actually told him that.


One bad thing about finishing the basement is the kids have lost their toy room for a few weeks and we have so many toys they are everywhere. In our closet, in our shower, piled in each of the bedrooms. I feel like we have been overtaken by toys - they are everywhere! Granted Chuck and I have bought the kids way too many toys, but Grandma has also contributed to this problem. I can't wait to have the new and improved play room back!


3 comments:

Linz said...

Wow, that is a big project! And right before Christmas! LOL! It will be wonderful! Good luck with all those toys! =D

Valerie said...

yay for getting your basement done...however the toys all over the house, I bet you are ready to get them put away. Your Thanksgiving looked way fun, I can't believe you prepared everything, I would have been exhausted! And I had to laugh at Bella in her swim suit in more than one pic. I was the same when I was little, dressed the way I wanted and my hair a mess and I did ask my mom why i looked so homely and she said the same thing to me, she tried to make me up and I wouldn't have it ha ha ha. Oh well, Bella is still cute in her swim suit :)

fourballerinas said...

That Samuel is so funny! I can just see him babling on to that plumber. What are you making down there? Bathrooms, bedrooms?
Audrey