I was so proud of Bella this week I had to call Chuck, Grandma Jerri Lynn and Aunt Trina right away to share the great news!
Bella and I have been going to speech class once a week for a year and a half. She has made such huge improvements from when we started. Her teacher encouraged me to be consistent in our practice at our first meeting. Well, if there's one thing I'm pretty good at it's being consistent especially if it's important!
We practice our sounds every day and this week my Bella girl had one of those light bulb moments where things just click. The J sound is her last big hurdle and her teacher introduced the sound this week and had her practice at class. Can I just say that I am fascinated by speech pathology. I am just amazed at all the coordination that has to take place in the mouth for sounds to be made correctly. Maybe in my next life I'll be a speech teacher! Later that day we were sitting at the table and Bella out of the blue started making the J sound correctly then she said, "Hey, Jenna starts with the J sound." I was so excited I about couldn't stand it! Before then Bella would replace the J sound with an S so instead of saying Jenna she would say Senna. But the light bulb clicked and she called her sister Jenna for the first time! And now she is starting to say all the other J words correctly.
Until I had kids I didn't realize the love I would have for teaching. I absolutely love learning with my kids. There's nothing like seeing those light bulbs go off as they catch onto a new principle. It just makes me smile! And it makes me have to call all the family and share the great news!
On a side note I had to take this picture of Bella before church because of her reaction when I put that giant pink bow in her hair. She looked in the mirror and exclaimed, "I LOVE it!".



1 comments:
That's exciting. I remember when Savannah got the "g" and "k" sounds after we had recieved the materials from the speech lady. (She never qualified for services even though we had her tested several times). I have a hunch that Ava will be just like Savannah- she's not a talker like Kayla & Alyssa. It's fun to see them "get it".
Post a Comment