Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patricks Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

We actually celebrated St. Patrick's Day last Saturday morning because the kids and I along with my sister and her kids went to my parents house for Spring Break that morning. We just got back today and I am exhausted! Can I just say that if these people were not my family and I didn't love them there is no way I would get together with them! This may sound harsh, but seriously every time we spend time together it creates a health hazard! More details may follow on another post.

This is the cute sham"rock" Samuel made.

Around our home, we like to celebrate the upcoming holidays for weeks in advance. And one of my favorite ways to celebrate is by making some sort of goodie. We had lots of fun with the green colored chocolate this year especially Isaac who was fascinated that chocolate could come in this crazy color.

(and for those of you wondering, these are NOT food storage brownies, but actual made from scratch very yummy brownies - on certain occasions my cooking acutally turns out!)

Last year was our first attempt at making a Leprechaun trap and Samuel has talked about making another trap for a solid year. This kid has an amazing memory. I found this idea on the Family Fun website and modified it a little so all three kids could work on it. The idea is that the Leprechaun will want to take the golden nuggets and when he pulls the nugget from the last pot the trap disguised as a cloud above the rainbow will fall on him. Sounds simple enough unless you have a little guy who is a stickler for details and making sure things work properly.
I was going to take a short cut and just glue the trap to the rainbow. Samuel was standing by supervising, telling me there was no way it would catch the Leprechaun. He kept detailing all the problems with my design. And he was right, if there really was a Leprechaun there was no way our trap would work. The details of making a trap that would actually work were a little more than I wanted to experiment with so we had our Daddy help with the design one evening. And yes, he came up with something that would actually work and satisfied all of Samuel's questions. The kids were really excited when we laid our trap out on the table.

When they woke up the next morning this is what they found. The trap had fallen and two little shoes were sticking out. Sort of reminds me of the Wizard of Oz. They were excited the trap had worked, but disappointed when there was no Leprechaun inside. Those Leprechaun's are hard to catch!

It's no wonder the kids love St. Patrick's Day so much. Who wouldn't love to eat chocolate and Lucky Charm marshmallows for breakfast. And notice how dark it is outside - yes, these kids get up way before the crack of dawn!

The Leprechaun couldn't leave sweet Jenna out of the mix. The kids were delighted that her milk had been turned green.
Chuck had a little talk with the Leprechaun about the wisdom in dying the whole gallon of milk green. We usually have milk leaking out of bottles and sippy cups and he couldn't believe a Leprechaun that is very anal about the carpet hadn't thought about green dye in the milk. Yeah, the Leprechaun should have thought about that detail!



5 comments:

Linz said...

YOu guys are so fun! Sam is a natural engineer by the sound of it!! Happy St. Pat's!!

Kami Beck said...

Amber--you are the most creative, fun mom ever! You need to have 14 more just so they can live in your house!

Kristin said...

who would possibly be wondering if those are food storage brownies :-)

I love the sham-rock!

fourballerinas said...

I find it very amusing that you actually celebrate St.Patricks day. The last 10 years in the places we live, St. Patricks day is only a drinking-get-drunk-til-you-puke-and-nearly-die-holiday. Not one I'm interested in even mentioning to my kids. Glad you can find something to celebrate about it.
Audrey

fourballerinas said...

oh yeah, what the HECK are food storage brownies? Only something yu'd hear in Utah.