I LOVE when the kids sit down at the piano and try to play. But this was too cute – Isaac and Jenna bright and early still in their pajamas pounding out a duet. As I watched them, I could picture in my mind several years down the road hoping they are still sitting together on that bench playing beautiful duets together.
Bella is the little mother of the family. Kambree is just about as big as Bella, but Bella was packing her all around the pool when Kambree was a little scared to get in.
Samuel wanted me to take a picture of him sinking under water like a rock. After each picture, he would examine my efforts and it took several tries before he was satisfied with the outcome.
This week for “Experiment Day” we tried our hand at chemistry. We first learned about Diaper Science. Yes, that’s right the science behind disposable diapers. Very interesting I must say and since disposable diapers make my life easier why not learn about the superabsorbent polymers that make it all possible. We cut up one of Jenna’s diapers, put it in a ziplock bag and shook it to release the little white powder inside. Then we collected the powder, the polymers, and added water. It was amazing to see the polymers expand to hold the water.
Then we learned about acids and bases. Did you know that red cabbage contains pigments that change color to indicate if a substance is an acid or base? Yeah, me neither but it’s true. We had a great time testing all sorts of liquids to see if they were acidic or basic. Their favorite was testing the orange juice.
Obviously with most of our experiments the kids don’t grasp the scientific concepts, but they sure do love helping and seeing the results. They ask pretty much every day if we can do experiments.
Every weekday morning I do a little “Learning Time” with the kids. It is quite the scene and some days it’s really crazy. Everyone is doing different things and trying to show me their work at the same time. I sometimes just want to laugh and how this must look. I’ve said it so often, but I really, really love teaching my kids. Yes, it can be crazy, but for me there’s nothing as rewarding as seeing their eyes sparkle as they master a new concept or exclaim with excitement that they did it.
And this is the best part, watching them help each other.
Now this doesn’t really make me smile, but I had to write about it. I sure do like my new table and chairs, but we didn’t realize that the style of the chairs with the bar below would make it easier for Jenna with her short little legs to climb right onto them and then up onto the table. She delights in climbing on the table and tromping from one end to the other. And now the kids have no place to do their projects or puzzles that is safe from her little destructive hands. She reminds me a little of Bella at this age – no fear.


0 comments:
Post a Comment