Sunday, December 5, 2010

Thanksgiving

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with the family.

The first FHE in November we made this lovely Thanksgiving tree. Chuck was the artist and the kids painted it themselves. Every night during Nov. we had to each say something we were grateful for and then I would write every one's answer on a leaf and stick it on the tree. No one could use the same answer as someone else so we came up with a lot of things we were grateful for all month long. I think this will be our new Nov. tradition. The kids would sometimes make me laugh with their answers each night. Isaac would always say he was grateful for choo choo's then when we told him he had to think of something else he would say dinosaurs, then proceed to tell us about the train ride at Disneyland. He seriously did this every night until finally we would get something original out of him. Samuel would always come up with something and then say, "back in the day they didn't have" whatever it was he was thankful for. I kept all the leaves and am going to write their answers down somewhere to keep.


I had to take this picture of Trina peeling potatoes with the gloves. Seriously - who is allergic to potatoes, pumpkins, melons! I needed her help since Chuck was out with the kids so I told her to wear the gloves and then maybe her hands wouldn't swell and get itchy.

Every year I've made leaf and pine cone turkeys with the kids. This year we ran out of time and Samuel was so distraught on Thanksgiving morning that we weren't going to do them I finally had to send the kids and Chuck to gather everything they needed. When Grandma and Grandpa got to our home they helped the kids make their turkeys while Trina and I finished the food. It was a messy ordeal with the kids throwing leaves all over the floor. But they had a great time and much to their delight made some funny looking Turkeys.

Yummy food and family - what could be better!

That night the guys entertained the kids while we combed the ads to decided which stores we were going to brave the next day. I always think it's funny to look through all the sales and see things you didn't know you needed, but now you want them just because they're on sale.

Trina and I made the unfortunate mistake of going to the outlet mall Thanksgiving evening. I need to write this down just in case we forget and try to do something dumb like this next year - Just Don't Do It!!
The shopping started out great but quickly turned into a nightmare. We were in Children's Place and it suddenly got so packed you couldn't hardly move. We were in this nightmare of a long line, it was getting hot, I couldn't move, there were people everywhere, I felt trapped, I kept thinking if something goes wrong we are going to get trampled - it was CRAZY - I felt like I might start screaming and go crazy myself! Trina overheard someone saying, "they just need to shut the doors there are too many people in here!" We decided it wasn't worth saving a few dollars but had to fight our way out of the store. We got home late that evening and neither one of us could settle down for awhile to go to sleep - it was that crazy! But we got up the next morning, although not that early and shopped all day. We had a long list of places we needed to get to and the only breaks we took were to nurse the two babies.

1 comments:

fourballerinas said...

I TOTALLY love your thanksgiving tree. That's a great idea. I TOTALLY HATE that creepy thing peering in your window. I can't believe you had to look at it for so long. Maybe Samuel should have used it for Be Be gun practice.