Sunday, December 19, 2010

Rain Rain Go Away!

It has been raining for the past 4 days! I need the sun, it's why I live here. A little rain is okay every so often, but not for days at a time. We had a few crazy things happen this week and I'm blaming it on the rain.


Our ward had the opportunity to be the cast for the Tuacahn live nativity one evening this week. The kids and I were so excited. It had been sunny and nice for weeks, but that day the rain started and it drizzled and drizzled all day. We got bundled up in what warm clothes we happen to own because they said the show was still on. Everyone was dressed in their nativity attire and as we headed out on stage for the dress rehearsal they told us they were canceling for the evening! We were all so disappointed! Samuel was really upset and lamented that he really wanted to perform for all of the people. At least they let us line up on stage and get a few pictures. I decided I would have been really homely looking if I would have lived during this time. But my mom bought a few cute nativity outfits and my friend Kristen helped me sew outfits for the girls so we will just have our own little nativity on Christmas Eve.


It was also my birthday this week. I'm officially "one year older and wiser too". While I'm at it, I'll blame this on the rain too - up until a few weeks ago I was mistaken on how old I was going to be this year. Yep, I officially forgot a whole year of my life and boy was I bummed out when I realized how old I was really going to be!
But I did feel better when the waitress at the restaurant Chuck took me to for dinner took our credit card, saw the picture of our 4 kids on the front and exclaimed, "You have 4 kids? You don't look like you have 4 kids. You look great!" Well, thanks for making my evening! Then I went into the office at Samuel's school and one of the ladies there said, "Oh, you just looked like one of the students." (Note: they do have jr. high age kids there). Thanks again for making my day all you sweet people!
And thanks to Chuck who after choking a few times let me get a really super great birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day, Anniversary what ever other holiday I need to count present. It probably won't get here until after Christmas, but I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I had a hard time falling asleep the night we ordered it. It's that good!

Trina and I really wanted to take the babies to get their picture taken with the Santa at the Dickens Festival because he is really the best Santa I've ever seen, but since they were both covered with a horrible rash that didn't happen. So we had to settle for the mall version. Maybe something good I can blame on the rain - Bella and Isaac actually sat on Santa's lap! Bella and Isaac have both refused this yearly escaped for the past few years. But for some reason they both climbed right on up. Granted they do look a little unsure, but I'll take what I can get.
Before we left the house I was telling Bella that she needed to sit on Santa's lap and tell him what she wanted for Christmas or she might not get what she wanted. Now in our home Samuel is our deep thinker, but Bella really surprised me when she said something to the effect of why did she need to tell Santa what she wanted when he was watching them all the time to see if they are being good. If he knows what they're doing shouldn't he know what she wants. I wish I could remember her exact words because it was really cute, but it caught me too off guard.

And poor baby Jenna had to get her picture alone with Santa. All the kids have to have a picture with Santa for their first Christmas. I've got to give credit to that mall photographer because somehow she managed to catch this shot. You would never know that a minute prior Jenna had been screaming and frantically clinging to me. I finally pried her loose from me and turned her over to big scary Santa where she continued twisting, screaming and trying to get away. We were all hollering at her and amazingly enough she quite screaming for one second and the photographer caught it.

Trina and I made our traditional Christmas candy this weekend. Now I'd like to blame what happened on the yucky rain, but really we're just not great cooks! Hate to say it, but about the only person I know that messes up cooking more than I do is my sister.

Problem number 1: I was using great new pans my mother-in-law got us for Christmas. This pan is deeper than the pan I usually use and I could not get the candy thermometer to stay in place. I pulled it out of the boiling mixture to try and fix it and for some crazy reason that's too hard to explain I managed to burn myself on the belly. Then I had to try and hold it in place because candy making is a very precise art and it was so hot I was dying!

Last year we made this same mistake of trying to make the chocolate turtles on wax paper so we didn't have as big of mess to clean up afterwards, but I thought the problem was Trina hadn't gotten enough butter on the paper to make the carmel not stick. Well that was not the problem because we had plenty of butter this year and we still had a disaster on our hands. We ended up with a giant mess, even worse than last year and ended up eating a lot of carmel ourselves and throwing a lot away. Trina insisted I make another note in the cook book (I'm always making notes to myself about what didn't work) so hopefully we don't make this mistake yet again. Not counting on it though! One thing about it, cooking with us is never boring!


We had Chuck's work party this weekend and he received a nice clock for 5 years of service. I really can't believe we've been here 5 years. It's longer than we've lived anywhere.

And since we just have rain and not snow (thank goodness for that) the kids made their own mess that looked like snow in Bella's room. We got a little toddler bed to put underneath Bella's bed so Isaac could start sleeping there by himself since the other two are in Samuel's room. Then maybe Jenna will finally get to sleep in the crib! The kids "helped" Chuck put the bed together and had a great time crushing up all styrofoam in the package.

1 comments:

fourballerinas said...

Looks like you guys should write a Christmas Candy cookbook. Where were all the kids while you were in a sticky predicament? You'd think they would be in the mix for tasting the sticky carmel. At least you're making good memories even if you're not making perfect candy.
Audrey