I was so excited about planting our garden again this year. (Okay so Chuck plants the garden, but I really like watching it grow and I love eating the vege's so that counts right!) We planted lettuce and I was LOVING going out and cutting pieces off for lunch every day. I really like a salad for lunch or I should say I really like eating my honey mustard dressing I put on the salad. 
Then a really sad thing happened - little holes started to appear in the lettuce. At first I didn't see any bugs I just saw the holes in the lettuce. I kept cutting my lettuce, but I would cut out all the holes before I ate it. I just couldn't stand the thought of eating something a bug had been nibbling on. 
Then a couple of days later I spotted the lettuce eating culprits - little green worms. So that pretty much put an end to my lettuce eating days.
But on a positive note our tomatoes are growing so well and they are so sweet and yummy! I can't wait for more to ripen!
Cute Samuel story:
Today at lunch we were reading out of the Friend a story by President Monson and how he remembered giving his first church talk about the early pioneers and seagulls eating the crickets. I told the kids this story and then we talked about how scary that would have been to be depending on your garden for food and then to have the crickets come and start devouring every thing you had worked so hard on. We talked about how they prayed and the seagulls came to eat the crickets.
Samuel then said, "Mom we should pray that something will come and take care of the worms so they won't eat our lettuce anymore."
How I cherish this time with my kids! I really look forward to making the kids lunch every day because we have such great discussions and little teaching moments that pop up as we all gather around the island. Last night I was laying in bed thinking how sad I felt that Samuel will be starting Kindergarten in just a couple of months. Then in another year he won't be here for our daily lunch discussions. Why do they have to grow up so fast!!
Thursday, June 3, 2010
Garden
Posted by amber at 8:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment