We've been celebrating Samuel's 4th birthday for several days now.
Samuel wanted to have a Joint Strike Fighter birthday party. Fighter planes all look alike to me so Chuck found me this picture on the internet and then I superimposed Samuel into the picture. Samuel loved it!
Making of The Cake

I was trying to think what type of a cake I could do for a Joint Strike Fighter party (not a real easy theme) and Chuck came up with the idea of an aircraft carrier. That sounded even harder than what I had been thinking, but we brainstormed some ideas and came up with a way to make it happen. Chuck built the base out of cardboard and because of his engineering brain it actually had to be to scale. I kept trying to talk him out of making it so big, but he insisted if it wasn't to scale it would look stupid. I then baked a sheet cake, pieced it together and decorated the top. I thought this was just going to be a disaster, but it actually turned out amazingly well.
Samuel wanted to have a Joint Strike Fighter birthday party. Fighter planes all look alike to me so Chuck found me this picture on the internet and then I superimposed Samuel into the picture. Samuel loved it!
Making of The Cake

I was trying to think what type of a cake I could do for a Joint Strike Fighter party (not a real easy theme) and Chuck came up with the idea of an aircraft carrier. That sounded even harder than what I had been thinking, but we brainstormed some ideas and came up with a way to make it happen. Chuck built the base out of cardboard and because of his engineering brain it actually had to be to scale. I kept trying to talk him out of making it so big, but he insisted if it wasn't to scale it would look stupid. I then baked a sheet cake, pieced it together and decorated the top. I thought this was just going to be a disaster, but it actually turned out amazingly well.

Decorating the cake. It took forever, and my hand was killing me when I finally finished.

Samuel kept asking me if the plane above the cake was the "best bomber". He is currently fascinated with fighter planes and bombing things.

The finished product - and yes we actually cut it and ate it. (It was so much work I seriously considered not actually cutting it and my mom kept saying she wouldn't cut it - but then I thought if we don't eat it what's the point of making it!)
JOY SCHOOL PARTY

It was my turn to do Joy School this week and so we had a little birthday celebration with our regular lesson. I made cupcakes for the kids and attached one of Samuel's fighter planes to the cupcake stand.
When I showed it to him he said, "Mom that's not the Joint Strike Fighter, it's the F22."
Me: Well we don't have a Joint Strike Fither plane.
Samuel: So you want me to have an F22 party now.
What I wanted to say: None of your friends are going to know the difference, just go with it!

Joy School friends singing Happy Birthday and opening presents.

Joy School friends singing Happy Birthday and opening presents.

Friend Birthday Party

We had a small boys party for Samuel on Friday. He was really sad his friend Stockton couldn't make it. We played a few games to go along with our birthday theme. The kids put together and decorated their own planes to begin with.

This was our cloud game. Burried in the clouds were as Samuel said, "United States of America Planes" and missles. The boys were going crazy throwing newspaper and digging all over to retrieve all the goodies. It was complete madness!

Once the boys retrieved their planes and missles they tried to fly their planes into the swimming pool and then they used their missles to bomb the plastic cowboys. Again this was complete madness, but the boys were loving it!

I love this picture of Samuel blowing out the candle on his cake.
Samuel's Actual Birthday

We asked Samuel what he wanted our family to do on his birthday and he wanted to go to Jumping Jacks. The kids love this place!

Chuck started this tradition when Samuel was born. He has made each kid a measuring board and every year on their birthday he measures them and records how tall they are on their board. It's a fun way to see how much they've grown over the past year.

We had a small boys party for Samuel on Friday. He was really sad his friend Stockton couldn't make it. We played a few games to go along with our birthday theme. The kids put together and decorated their own planes to begin with.

This was our cloud game. Burried in the clouds were as Samuel said, "United States of America Planes" and missles. The boys were going crazy throwing newspaper and digging all over to retrieve all the goodies. It was complete madness!

Once the boys retrieved their planes and missles they tried to fly their planes into the swimming pool and then they used their missles to bomb the plastic cowboys. Again this was complete madness, but the boys were loving it!

I love this picture of Samuel blowing out the candle on his cake.
Samuel's Actual Birthday

We asked Samuel what he wanted our family to do on his birthday and he wanted to go to Jumping Jacks. The kids love this place!

Chuck started this tradition when Samuel was born. He has made each kid a measuring board and every year on their birthday he measures them and records how tall they are on their board. It's a fun way to see how much they've grown over the past year.
To end our week of celebration Samuel wanted to go to McDonalds for dinner. The kids love going to McDonalds because of playland. I just have to not think about how nasty it is in the tubes. I once had to crawl a little way in to rescue Bella and it was not pleasant.




3 comments:
So many cute parties. And so much work for you! I LOVED the cake.
I love the parties you put together. We had a good laugh over Chuck making sure everything was "to scale".
I am SO IMPRESSED with the cake!! Do you ever watch the show Ace of Cakes? They do stuff like that all the time. My birthday is in November and I'm putting my order in now for an AMAZING cake!
Post a Comment