Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tick Tock Tick Tock ….

IMG_0951-1

(No this is not a staged picture – Samuel really was watching the minutes tick away on his new clock)

I think I’ve passed on my punctuality phobia on to Samuel. I absolutely can’t stand to be late – if I’m late somewhere it’s usually because I’ve decided I’m going to be late or something very crazy has happened. I set our microwave timer whenever I know I’ve got to be somewhere giving myself plenty of time to find shoes, get kids in the van, etc. Then I don’t worry about watching the clock or forgetting I need to be somewhere. When the timer beeps the kids know to drop what they’re doing, get their shoes and get in the van. It works great! The only problem – I also use the timer for time outs and cooking. So now they hear the beep when the food is done and think it’s time to go somewhere.

Samuel has wanted his own clock  in his room for awhile but I’ve resisted because I also can’t stand to have a clock in my bedroom. When I was pregnant and would literally lay awake for hours every single night for months on end the clock in the bedroom became the enemy. Once I removed the clock, I felt so much more peaceful. Even if I couldn’t sleep at least I didn’t know just how much sleep I was missing! But after Samuel woke me up two separate nights last week at 3:30 a.m. wondering if it was time to get up and practice the piano I decided maybe having his own clock wasn’t such a bad idea.

The first night he was so excited about having his own clock he just wanted to watch the numbers change. About an hour after bedtime he came downstairs and said he just couldn’t fall asleep. I told him that he could no longer take his nap in Sacrament Meeting (yes, he has trained himself to fall asleep every week in Sacrament Meeting) if he wasn’t going to be able to go to sleep at night. Then he said, “It’s not that mom. It’s the clock! I just can’t stop watching it!” I knew it! So now we cover the clock up with the blanket each night so I’m not sure why we really have it, but he hasn’t tried to wake me up at 3:30 in the morning lately!

1 comments:

fourballerinas said...

That's funny. I can't have a clock by me at night either but Brady want one so it's on his side and he has to turn it facing out so I can't see it. So I assume you aren't dragging him out of bed in the morning to get up for school. An early riser- that will be good for school.
funny kid