I've thought an awful lot about "mothering moments" since I got back from the Power of Moms retreat. There are so many little precious moments in each day that sometimes I don't fully appreciate. I have been trying to notice these moments more, to capture them in my mind and heart so as these little ones grow I will be able to remember how special this time was.
This is one of those moments that I stopped and watched for awhile today.
The kids playing their version of the board game Risk with Bella dressed as a knight and Isaac dressed as a dragon. It just made me laugh.
It also made me laugh that I have 2 tables and 14 chairs in my kitchen. I honestly didn't realize we had that much space in the kitchen. We got a new table set yesterday and I'm really excited! We really needed new chairs - the tape on the old ones was just a little too tacky.
I also discovered something about myself in the process of picking out a new kitchen set. Maybe I've always know it, but it really struck me - I get easily bored with things. I like change. When we first started looking for tables I was thinking we should get something really nice that we could have for years and years. Then I realized - wait, I don't want something that I can have for years and years, that's not me! I finally found something that I liked, wasn't very expensive and probably won't last forever - everything I was looking for.
I already have my every holiday present for this year (my camera), but I saw this add and really wanted this drink dispenser and thought it would be something easy for Chuck and the kids to get me for Mother's Day. So I cut out the add, put a nice little note on it that said, "Good Mother's Day Gift for Me!". I'm all about taking the guess work out of gifts. Then I put it on the very top in his money clip. I thought for sure he'd say something about my cleverness, but then I found the piece of paper just laying around. I asked him today if he'd seen my note on what I wanted for Mother's Day. He told me he hadn't.
Really - how did you miss this note!
He saw it, but just thought one of the kids was sticking junk in his money clip. So much for my trying to be clever!

And trying to haul this birthday cake I made today on my lap in the van so I could FINALLY take cake pictures with Jenna really was comical. We had a few mishaps on the way and it didn't look quite as good as it did at home, but somehow we miraculously made it without a complete disaster. I really wished I would have remembered to take a picture of the back of the cake because that is what looked really funny. The frosting on the back of the cake had plenty of handprints - that minivan of ours can sure accelerate!


0 comments:
Post a Comment