Thursday, July 7, 2011

Karate Promotion

IMG_7088_filtered-1

Samuel had Karate promotions last week. Anyone who knows Samuel will not be surprised that he is super good at his yells. The funny thing is now baby Jenna goes around the house saying, “Aih Yah!”. Makes us laugh every time.

IMG_7097_filtered-1 

IMG_7109_filtered-1

IMG_7120_filtered-1

He is now a white belt with a green stripe.

IMG_7126_filtered-1

The teacher has an exciting promotion routine. He calls the kids name and announces what color belt they will be receiving. Then they jump up, run around the group of kids receiving High 5’s from everyone on their way to the front of the room. They receive their belt from the teacher and then they get to ring the gong. Once everyone has their new belt it’s a race to see who can untie their old belt and put their new belt on fastest.

Chuck isn’t able to make to it all the promotions, but he was here this time. I was standing to the side taking pictures and mouthed to Samuel that I was going to have daddy put his belt on. Samuel vigorously shook his head and mouthed back, “NO, YOU!”. Poor Chuck, the last time he helped Samuel get his belt on at promotions he did it all wrong. Since I get him ready for class each week, I’m the belt tying expert in the family so it was no wonder Samuel wanted me and not dad. And yep, we were finally the winners – go mom! 

IMG_5998 copy

These are just a few fun shots I took of Samuel a couple of months ago. I had what I thought was a brilliant idea – karate uniform with an urban feel. This area is totally lacking in urban feel, but I thought the parking garage was a perfect location. I talked my friend Allyson into coming with us, her son is also in Karate. It took us about 2 seconds to realize that parking garage, two boys and white uniforms was not a great combination. Their hands and feet were completely black, little black smudges on the face and the uniform was not so white anymore.

IMG_5922 copy

Samuel knows the picture drill and is great about going along with whatever. He knows after he will get a treat so he’s happy to pose as long as he can do his “cool” face. Afterward Samuel and I had cupcakes at 25 Main and enjoyed some one on one time together. I sure do love this guy!

IMG_6001 copy

At one location, there was a large group of adult couples walking by the alley. The guys stopped and were imitating karate moves and making a lot of loud funny noises – think Karate Kid. These were not kids or teenagers, they were full grown adult males. They did provide us with some great entertainment though.  

IMG_6008 a_filtered copy

0 comments: