Sunday, October 3, 2010

Eating My Words & Loving It!

Yes, We traded in our Pilot for a Minivan.
I swore I would NEVER EVER (I can't stress how strongly I felt about this!) drive a minivan.


This was me with my sad face as we left the house to look at a van Chuck had found in Vegas. When we got to the very small "dealership" in a iffy part of town to look at the van it reminded me of the time Chuck had us buy our computer from the teenagers in a warehouse - not good! I took one look inside the van and there was no way I was trading in our perfectly good Pilot for a very used and abused van! Then we went and looked at a van that was great on the inside, but there was no way I was trading in the Pilot to drive what looked like a Smurf mobile - the color was horrendous! So we left Vegas that day with no van which really didn't make me feel bad because I wasn't totally convinced I could drive one any way.

But then another couple of weeks went by of fighting Isaac every time I had to get him in his seat. We moved everyone around in the Pilot trying to make it work and it just wasn't happening. Having Isaac in the back was a nightmare for me because I had to crawl in the trunk to get him in and out of his carseat and it was no easy task. You can't imagine the fight this "little" guy throws! If he was sitting by anyone else he just caused problems. We couldn't put Bella and Samuel in the back because I still have to help Bella get out of her carseat so I would still have to climb in the trunk.To top it off everyday I had to pick Samuel up from school and he always had to climb over the top of everyone to get in the back while the teacher was trying to hurry him into the Pilot.

I finally came to the sad realization that with 4 little kids - 3 or which need help with carseats a minivan was our only solution. So Chuck found us another van in California and had the dealership in Vegas transfer it. We drove to Vegas a couple of weekends ago with just baby Jenna (thanks to Trina and Wes for watching the other kids) and after looking at the van I decided I could do this.

So we traded in the Pilot for a 2009 Honda Odyssey - after a mere 5 hours at the dealership! Another long story.


I can I just say that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
All it took was the ride home from Vegas and one day of picking up Samuel to make me realize how wonderfully convenient minivans are. It's absolutely FABULOUS! The kids love the "magic" doors and Samuel is convinced that he wants to drive a minivan when he turns 16.
I love that it is so roomy and drives so smooth, there is so much room in the trunk, it seats 8 but we have the middle seat removed so Isaac doesn't have to sit by anyone, I can reach Bella to help her out of her carseat without having it get in the van, I could go on and on.
Do I feel a little geeky driving it, not when I have all the kids with me, but Chuck and I went out for a little desert last night and yeah it felt geeky with just the two of us, but that's okay! I'm a mom with lots of little kids and I need something that makes my life easier!


So thanks to Isaac since he's the cause of making me eat my words and Loving every second of it!
He's still a nightmare to get in his carseat every time we to somewhere, but at least I'm not crawling around in the trunk of the Pilot and once he's finally in he can't bug anyone.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I told you that you would LOVE your minivan! We keep thinking of trading in the excursion for another one!

Carole said...

You will love it more and more Amber. My granddaughter and her husband bought a mini van and love it. She has 3 kids all of which are older now and don't need car seats, but still loves it.