Tuesday, March 23, 2010

St. Patricks Day


We did several fun activities for St. Patrick's Day this year. The first was making from scratch something similar to chocolate "waffles" covered with green peppermint frosting. My mom made these for a class activity when I was in 4th grade. It's the one and only time she made them, but it left quite an impression because I have been wanting to make them again for 20+ years and I finally got my chance!





Isaac trying his first bite of the tasty creation from my childhood. Chuck and Trina were laughing at me that I had remembered this for all these years, but they were just as yummy as I remembered. I think it was the peppermint frosting!



Another day the kids and I made shamrock sugar cookies. I was very tempted to use the peppermint frosting on them, but decided it might not mix so well with the almond flavoring in the cookies. (Who knows maybe it would have been delicious, I'm just not very adventurous when it comes to baking - I like to stick with what I know tastes good - the curse of being a bad cook I guess!)


I turned around and Isaac went straight for licking the bowl.



The day before St. Patrick's Day we made a Leprechaun trap out of small box with the lid missing so when the Leprechaun followed the path of shamrocks up the rock wall he would fall into the box and we would catch him. The kids really got into this project because they really thought we would be able to catch a Leprechaun. The only problem was Samuel was asking me so many questions about Leprechaun's I was having a hard time keeping the "lies" straight - which is not a good thing with a kid that remembers EVERYTHING you say!






Our finished trap sitting on the table to catch the Leprechaun when he came during the night.


The next morning Samuel was especially disappointed that the Leprechaun had appeared to have fallen in the trap but got away. Instead he left the kids little pots of chocolate gold, rainbow twisted marshmallow treats, squirt toys and of course Lucky Charms for breakfast.


During breakfast Samuel was coming up with all sorts of ideas for how we could catch the Leprechaun next year. And of course asking me more hard questions about Leprechaun's.


This is why we only get Lucky Charms once a year - everyone likes to just pick the marshmallows out of the cereal. Isaac was especially mad that I wouldn't let him have any more cereal and decided to dump the remainder of his cereal out.


The kids spent a long time outside playing with their new squirt toys. Samuel managed to break his and was in tears saying he was never going to be able to get another one. I told him I could probably figure out where the Leprechaun had bought them, but he didn't think that was true. Luckily Chuck was able to fix it when he got home!

2 comments:

Kami Beck said...

What cute St. Patty day ideas! We've been so busy with our move, that I didn't even remember and got pinched! You look fantastic and are seem to be doing stellar with four! Way to go! Love Ya!

fourballerinas said...

St. Patricks day here was "Here is a green shirt for school today- put it on- St. Patricks day is just ANOTHER stupid holiday to get you to buy silly decorations and more candy for your kids". Then after school, Kayla's friend came over with a "leprachan" trap- after she left I quickly told Kayla that leprachan's were not real and so don't expect to trap one. I guess I'm a bah humbug about St. Patty's day.