Today we were busy making a very yummy treat - an early St. Patrick's day activity because I just couldn't hold off any longer. I got out my camera to take a few pictures so Samuel wanted to take a few pictures with his camera.
He snapped a picture then said, "I want to do what you do mom - take pictures for fun." Then he paused, looked and me and said, "Except mom, you just grew up to be NOTHING".
I had such a surge of so many emotions when he said those words. I wanted to laugh because it really was funny. I felt a little sad to think that a lot of the time motherhood is not as valued as it should be. But the emotion that won and I manifested rather strongly was the feminist inside me. I proceeded to tell Samuel that I was an engineer just like daddy and that I had worked for many years and made money just like daddy. I had worked extremely hard for my degree so I could "be something". I then softened a little as I told him that I made the choice to stay home and take care of him. I gave him a hug, told him that I loved him very much and then he said he was glad I took care of him.
When Chuck came home from work and I told him about this experience he laughed then said, "Well you had that one coming." I asked him what he meant by that and he told me that I had had very similar views and said things like this to my own mother. And he was right. There was a time when I did not value motherhood and the sacrifices my mom made for her family. I remember telling Chuck the day we were married, after the chaos of trying to get our group picture taken because of all his nieces and nephews running around, that we were never having children and it was too late he'd already married me! Little did I know that one day my greatest source of joy would be raising and teaching my own children even if at times they think I am "nothing". Being their mom is enough!


1 comments:
Kids say the darndest things!! Funny, yet a good teaching moment. I love it when my girls say they want to be mom like me when they grow up- mostly Savannah. kayla always says she wants to be a dance teacher.
Post a Comment