I helped the kids make a giant blanket fort in the family room this week. They were all super excited about this creation.
Samuel made me laugh when he said, “Mom, thanks so much for doing this. You’re the best mom in the world!” Then he paused for a minute and added, “Well, sometimes you’re the best mom.”
Yep, the side of me that plays and has fun is the “best mom” in my kids eyes. The other side, the tiger mom that sits at the piano bench, tries to make sure brains don’t turn to mush, teaches the kids to work and harps that we can do hard things is sometimes the “worst mom in the world”. I think we all need a little of both! So I’ll take my boy thinking that sometimes I’m the “best mom in the world”!
The kids had so much fun with the blanket fort activity we had to do it again the next day, this time moving the kitchen table into the family room to create a more stable support structure. The kids were thrilled when we suggested they could sleep in the fort that night.
As with most activities at our house, there was a bit of chaos. Isaac was under the table and something fell in his eye. He was screaming hysterically and when I finally pried his eye open I saw a little chuck of wood. I fully recognize I could NEVER be a doctor or nurse – I just don’t have the stomach for such things. Seeing that piece of wood in Isaac’s eye and trying to rinse it out while he kicked and scram was horrible. I finally had to call Chuck and luckily he was able to run home. I held Isaac tight in my arms while we waited for daddy. When Chuck saw the object he said exactly what I had been thinking, “How are we supposed to get that out”. Miraculously it eventually floated to the corner and I was able to get it with a tissue. After that little episode, Isaac was warning everyone to stay away from the table. Never a dull moment!


0 comments:
Post a Comment