Tuesday, April 12, 2011

All Aboard!


We celebrated Isaac's 3rd birthday with a train theme.

He LOVES all trains, especially Thomas.



This was Isaac's super cute cake. The kids had so much fun decorating their own trains. I loved that it only took me a couple of minutes to decorate the Thomas train. All the other kids were declaring that they wanted a Thomas birthday cake next time it was their birthday. I told them not to worry I'm planning on using this cake pan again around Christmas.

Several times that day this was declared the Funnest and Best Birthday Ever.
Now I bet you can't guess why the kids thought this.

You may think it was because they had so much fun decorating their own train cakes and then getting to eat a lot of extra candy.

You make think it was because they all loved watching their little brother celebrate and blow out his birthday candle - I love that they are all blowing.

You may think it was because the cake was so yummy.

Or that the presents were so much fun.

Or that the house was a complete wreck after opening presents - it reminded me of Christmas morning.
(Thanks Grandma Jerri Lynn for getting the kids the Lego Table. All the kids are really into Legos right now. Even Jenna loves packing them around and tasting them.)

But all of these answers would be wrong.

This was declared the Funnest and Best Birthday Ever because Isaac chose to go to McDonald's for his birthday dinner and all the kids got Happy Meals. Samuel said, "I can't believe we each get our own Happy Meal with a toy." And Bella said, "And we don't have to share!"

I have taken the kids to McDonald's A LOT. When Isaac was younger, I took the kids to McDonald's every other week when Chuck had City Council because we all just needed a break by the end of the day. The kids would always ask for happy meals and I would always tell them sorry, but we were getting the "Sad Meal" - which consisted of a big order of nuggets and a huge fry for all of us to share. So as my friend likes to say, when you set the expectations low the kids are delighted when they get something out of the ordinary!

4 comments:

Trina and Wes said...

Cute train cake! I am laughing about mcdonalds birthday dinner! I can just hear samuel and Bella now, how funny!

Kristin said...

Way to set your standards low :-)

fourballerinas said...

Those pictures of him are so cute. I think he looks so much like Chuck. I can image that chuck looked JUST like that as a little boy. funny about Mcdonalds. Sad Meal! HAAAAA Funny- I pointed to the arches the other day to Alyssa and she couldn't tell me what they were. She doesn't know what Mcdonalds is hardly. She likes "Shake n Steak" (actually Steak N Shake) a burger place here.
Audrey

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. Issac on the train is adorable! Love the McDonald's story!