Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Inca Trail Day 2

Day 2 of the Inca Trail is the hardest climb and the day we had all been worried about. It was Mother’s Day and we were set to climb Dead Woman’s Pass – lovely!

IMG_1351-213

Starting the day off with steep steps. We climbed and descended SO many steps. Thank goodness for the walking poles!

IMG_1352-214

We all bought the llama caps in Cusco before we started the trail. We laughed that it’s one of those things you can only get away with wearing while your on vacation. But we sure did love those hats. They were warm and covered your ears completely. I even slept with mine on a couple of nights and was so glad I had it!

IMG_1355-217

The official break spot. I sure did love the beef jerky we brought along - what a great hiking snack.

IMG_1356-218

This is the last spot we saw locals and where Chuck bought the $3.50 snickers bar. It sure did taste delicious!

IMG_1357-219

IMG_1358-220

We were at a pretty high elevation at this point so there weren’t really any trees, but it was still beautiful. We were all grateful that none of us experienced any altitude sickness. You definitely got more winded and couldn’t hike super fast, but no one felt sick.

IMG_1359-221

IMG_1363-225

IMG_1364-226

Notice the red dots along the trail, those were our porters. They were cruising up the mountain slope!

IMG_1366-228

Chuck and his friend Gary, with Dead Woman’s pass in the background.

IMG_1367-229

Hiking and talking with friends all along the way made it so much easier.

IMG_1368-230

Almost to the peak! Do I look tired, because I was!

IMG_1370-232

We made it to Dead Woman’s Pass!

IMG_1371-233

Elevation nearly 13,900 feet! I had another mouthful of beef jerky – loved that stuff!

IMG_1372-234

We were officially in the cloud forest so sometimes we had great views and sometimes the clouds completely covered all around us.

IMG_1373-235

All of us at the pass.

IMG_1376-238

We didn’t get much of a break before we started down, after all we had another high pass yet to climb.

IMG_1375-237

We descended 2,000 rock steps this day. Not sure who bothered to count them, but that is what our guide told us. All I know is it felt like thousands of steps!

IMG_1378-240

Waterfalls in the distance.

IMG_1381-243

We finally made it down the first descent where a yummy lunch was waiting for us. Since it was Mother’s Day, the guys surprised us all with a message from the kids. I woke up that morning missing our little ones so I was nearly in tears when Chuck pulled out the video he had recorded before he left of each of them wishing me a Happy Mother’s Day. We were all surprised they had planned this for us – it was actually Chuck’s idea.

IMG_1380-242

And since it was Mother’s Day, the porters pulled out our sleeping pads and we took a few minutes rest before lunch was served. See the thickness of those sleeping pads – no wonder the ground felt so hard every night!

IMG_1383-245

And we were off and climbing again. We had another pass to climb and descend before we reached camp for the evening. Waterfalls dotted the hillside.

IMG_1384-246

It was steep!

IMG_1386-248

Our porters cruising by us again.

IMG_1387-249

The weather was constantly changing on us. You’d be hot and then you’d get cold. At this elevation temperatures changed rapidly.

IMG_1392-254

Another set of ruins along the way.

DSCN0879-255

IMG_1388-250

DSCN0877-207

It started raining on us just before we reached the peak of the second pass. We pulled out our ponchos and started climbing down another super steep set of thousands of stairs. With the rain the rocks were super slick. My poncho was so big I couldn’t see my feet as I was trying to step down the rocks. It was at this point I got a little ornery. I decided I needed to remove my poncho and put on my rain jacket so I didn’t fall, but then my pants were getting all wet. Then, Chuck asked me to hold his poles for a minute and I snapped back that couldn’t he see my hands were already full. Yeah, the rain, super slick step rocks and feeling pretty tired at this point made me upset for a bit. Luckily Gary and Amy caught up with us and I had to snap out of my ornery mood! And good thing for nice hiking pants – they dry super quick!

IMG_1395-258

We were so excited to get to camp that evening. It was a long hard day, but we had made it and it was amazing probably more so because of the difficulty!

IMG_1393-256

DSCN0878-210

And our amazing chief made us a Mother’s Day Cake for dinner. Seriously – a cake! The food was simply amazing this whole trip.

 

0 comments: