Thursday, March 1, 2012

That’s Just For Girls!

If there’s on thing that can really get me riled up it’s hearing certain statements roll forth concerning girls and their supposed “jobs”. When I was going to college, I had a boy in my surveying class that flat out told me he didn’t think girls should survey. As you can imagine, that went over really well!

Tonight Bella was asking me how I knew how to make dinner. I told her I just read the recipe (of course there’s a lot more to being a good cook than reading a recipe and most of that knowledge is still a mystery to me!).

Our stake had a great women’s conference last weekend and a sister in our ward gave an inspiring talk on nourishing your family physically, spiritually and emotionally through family meal time. One thing that I really want to work on is having the kids help me in the actual preparation of the food. They help me make plenty of treats, but I haven’t been very good about having them help me cook dinner. As I was explaining to the kids about how fun this was going to be to help mommy, Samuel chimed in and said, “Why do I need to learn that. The girls do all the cooking.”

Of course this remark caused the feminist inside me rear her little head! I then asked Samuel if he planned on moving away from home and going to college or if he planned on going on a mission. He answered affirmative to both so I reminded him that there would be no girls cooking for him then so he’d better learn how to cook for himself. He then responded, “Oh yeah, well daddy knows how to cook pancakes so I guess boys do cook.”

So tomorrow night instead of my usual buying pizza for movie night the kids and I are going to make the pizza together. I’m starting out easy!

1 comments:

Kristin said...

Remember the placemats :-) ....and tablecloth